Friday, June 1, 2007

36 week appointment

I was so excited about my appointment yesterday. It was the first where the doctor was checking for dilation and effacement. Well, the big news is that I am 1 cm dilated and 50% effaced. She said not to get too excited, that I could stay in this stage for a while, but it was good that I was progressing. He has not dropped into my pelvis yet, so I am -2, which I am still not totally sure what that means, but basically his head isn't all the way engaged. I didn't think he had yet, because there is still so much pressure up in my lungs and ribs. He is definitely head down though, which is great. She also felt around to determine his size. She initially said 7 lbs, then estimated maybe closer to 6 1/2. I am not sure how much they can actually tell from the outside, but it was fun to hear her educated guess. I go back next Thursday for the same checks, so we will see if Brady has made any progress and wants to have a June birthday.